Position Title: Communications Coordinator
Reports to: Development and Communications Manager
Status: Part Time, Hourly, 16-20 hours/week, $15/hour
Start Date: Immediately
For the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Communications Specialist will work a hybrid of remote and in-person hours.
The Communications Coordinator will support the efforts of the Development and Communications department in our mission for a more affirming Memphis. The role generates content and scheduling for organization-wide newsletters, blog posts, and press releases and implements the organization’s social media strategy on a regular basis. Basic graphic design is required, as well as correspondence with OUTMemphis’s graphic designer consultant, Real Tenacious. The Communications Coordinator will be responsible for supervising and updated website content, which includes writing content and executing web design. The Communications Coordinator will be a creative and mission-driven individual eager to engage OUTMemphis’s diverse community: clients, program participants, volunteers, donors, and peers.
- Implement OUTMemphis’s social media strategy, including coordinating information on programs, events, and public issues.
- Write and create a variety of content for website content, newsletters, brochures, direct mail, and press releases.
- Design graphics with Canva for social and web-based announcements and content. (note: see OUTMemphis’s social media accounts for sample of design work)
- Oversee the OUTMemphis’s website content, including some back-end work, which includes blog posts, updated program pages, and OUTMemphis’s digital Resource Guide.
- Experience with digital marketing and communications in an educational, professional, volunteer, or community-based capacity.
- Experience with creating back end website content preferred, willingness to undertake rigorous training required.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills; ability to meet all deadlines and multi-task; proven attention to detail.
- Strong written communications skills and interest in relationship-building with programs staff.
- Solid grasp of social media tools and platforms required.
- Knowledge of marketing and design software such as Constant Contact and Canva preferred.
- Knowledgeable about racial justice and LGBTQ+ issues in the Mid-South and ability to create written content that reflects our mission.
- Must be able to collaborate and work with diverse constituencies in a fast-paced, mission-driven environment.
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter and resume in a single document to [email protected] with “Communications Coordinator” in the subject line. Phone calls and email inquiries regarding this position will not be replied to.
Our Mission: OUTMemphis empowers, connects, educates and advocates for the LGBTQ+ community of the Mid-South
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. OUTMemphis provides a comprehensive Workplace Accommodations procedure available to all employees.
OUTMemphis affirmatively values diversity and seeks to hire staff that reflects the diversity of our communities. Transgender people, non-binary people, intersex people, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, and people with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply. OUTMemphis provides reasonable accommodations for the application, interview, or any other aspect of the employee selection process to applicants with disabilities. Please e-mail [email protected] to request an accommodation.
OUTMemphis: The LGBTQ+ Center for the Mid-South
outmemphis.org | (901) 278-4622 | [email protected]
Community Center: 892 S. Cooper Street, Memphis, TN, 38104
Administrative & Donation Center: 832 Virginia Run Cove, Memphis, TN, 38122
Youth Emergency Center: 2055 Southern Ave., Memphis, TN 38104