Position Title: Director of Community Services
Reports to: Deputy Director
Status: Full Time, Exempt
Salary Range: $42,000 – $55,000, plus health benefits and professional development opportunities.
Start Date: Immediately
Work includes a hybrid of remote and in-person work.
The Director of Community Services drives the core community- and volunteer-driven programs and services at OUTMemphis. As a member of the leadership team, the Director of Community Services represents community members and the mission and function of our central Community Center, currently located at 892 S. Cooper Street. Over the next 3 years, the Director of Community Services will serve on the committee to establish a new Community Center, supporting the identification of appropriate physical space for our range of programs and services. The Director of Community Services leads five core OUTMemphis programs: (1) Senior Program (2) Volunteer and Fellowship Program (3) Donation Center and Food Security Program (4) Peer Group program and (5) Management of the Community Center’s public services, facilities, and “virtual front desk,” which includes main line communication and our 30-year-old resource guide.
The Director of Community Services supervises the Health Services Manager and Trans Services Manager and a network of volunteer leadership of our peer-led social support groups. The Health Services and Trans Services managers lead those programs and implement all related programming. As their supervisor, this position ensures efficacy, accountability, and resources for that department.
The Director of Community Services must be a results-oriented leader with multiple years operational experience within a nonprofit environment. This position requires the capacity to multi-task many-faceted and sometimes disparate programs while keeping a consistent eye on the access and functionality of the community center on a daily basis.
- Lead the Volunteer Program, including interns and fellowships, some of which are paid.
- Manage the Donation Center, including supplying participants with goods and recruiting donations.
- Manage OUTMemphis’s food security program, which includes pick-up and delivery kits.
- Manage OUTMemphis’s network of peer-led social support groups; provide oversight and guidance to group facilitators (both staff and volunteers).
- Supervise the Health Services Manager and Trans Services manager, who lead their departments and programs.
- Provide overall management of day-to-day operations, facilities management, and ongoing programs and services for 892 S. Cooper.
- Manage OUTMemphis’s “virtual front desk” which includes responding to messages from the public, managing the Resource Guide, and tracking numbers on requested services.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree AND/OR 5-years’ experience in nonprofits or equivalent preferred.
- Fluency in Spanish preferred.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years’ experience supervising Programs and/or Operations, with the ability to measure success, provide assessments, and lead goal-oriented projects.
- Must have minimum 3-years’ experience in any of the following: community service, public health, youth development, housing and homelessness, and/or queer and trans advocacy.
- Minimum two years working with volunteers in any capacity.
- Knowledgeable and sensitive to the issues affecting gay, lesbian, bisexual, queer, asexual, intersex, transgender and questioning youth and adults.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a hands-on environment and maximize resources.
- Demonstrated professional leadership on issues of racial, socio-economic, ability, and age disparities and capacity to speak towards cultural intersectionality within the LGBTQ+ community.
- Must be able to collaborate and work with diverse constituencies in a fast-paced, mission-driven environment. Must have strong customer-service instincts and de-escalation skills.
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter and resume in a single document to [email protected] with “Director of Community Services” in the subject line. Phone calls and email inquiries regarding this position will not be replied to.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. OUTMemphis provides a comprehensive Workplace Accommodations procedure available to all employees.
OUTMemphis affirmatively values diversity and seeks to hire staff that reflects the diversity of our communities. Transgender people, non-binary people, intersex people, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, and people with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply. OUTMemphis provides reasonable accommodations for the application, interview, or any other aspect of the employee selection process to applicants with disabilities. Please e-mail [email protected] to request an accommodation.
OUTMemphis: The LGBTQ+ Center for the Mid-South
outmemphis.org | (901) 278-4622 | [email protected]
Community Center: 892 S. Cooper Street, Memphis, TN, 38104
Administrative & Donation Center: 832 Virginia Run Cove, Memphis, TN, 38122
Youth Emergency Center: 2055 Southern Ave., Memphis, TN 38104