Position Title: Metamorphosis Project Overnight Youth Advocate
Reports to: Resident Coordinator
Status: Non-exempt, permanent, temporary, or seasonal, see note.
Start Date: Immediately
Compensation: $12 per hour.
We are also currently hiring daytime/evening Youth Advocates, please find more information here.
OUTMemphis’s Overnight Youth Advocates will supervise the overnight shifts of OUTMemphis’s Youth Emergency Center, our drop-in center & overnight shelter for LGBTQ+ youth 18-24. This position will provide oversight of basic security, maintenance, or safety concerns throughout the overnight shift and will be the point of contact for the shelter Residents between the hours of 11pm and 5am. The Overnight Youth Advocate will work with an off-site on-call staff member to address emergencies during the shift, but this position will be the only on-site staff member (sometimes with volunteer or intern support and sometimes without). During the overnight shift, the Drop-In Center is fully closed, and this role does not include operating any programs or services. All Overnight Youth Advocates complete a training curriculum before their first shift.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide a welcoming, affirming interface with Residents during curfew, assuring they have all needs met before securing the Drop-In space for the night.
- Secure the building nightly i.e., checking all doors and windows, setting the alarm, etc.
- Complete safety checks of the building and premises throughout the night.
- Maintain a safe and supportive environment within the shelter overnight should any incidents occur.
- Help keep facility clean, restock supplies as needed, basic maintenance & organization skills.
- Learn, understand, and follow all safety policies and procedures as detailed in the handbook.
- Record and submit a detailed Shift Report about any overnight incidents and ensure YEC staff have all updated information about Residents.
- Provide emergency assistance, such as First Aid, CPR, fire safety, crisis intervention, NARCAN, and follow crisis protocols at all times (all trainings are provided by OUTMemphis).
- Answer after-hours calls and coordinate with on-call off-site staff as needed.
- Good verbal and written communication skills, including strong organizational, conflict resolution, and interpersonal skills.
- Basic computer skills including word processing, email, database operations, spreadsheets, and other software systems.
- Ability to maintain appropriate boundaries and confidentiality while working with all youth Participants.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds including age, ability, gender identity & expression, sexual orientation, education, and ethnicity, in an intersectional environment.
- Knowledgeable and sensitive to the issues affecting gay, lesbian, bisexual, queer, asexual, intersex, transgender, and questioning, youth and adults.
Note: To be hired, Overnight Youth Advocates must commit to a minimum of 4 shifts, but are permitted to work temporary, permanent, on-call, or intermittent commitments. All shifts are 11pm – 5am on-site at the Youth Emergency Center at 2055 Southern Avenue.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. OUTMemphis provides a comprehensive Workplace Accommodations procedure available to all employees.
OUTMemphis affirmatively values diversity and seeks to hire staff that reflects the diversity of our communities. Transgender people, non-binary people, intersex people, people of color, formerly incarcerated people and people with criminal records, and people with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply. OUTMemphis provides reasonable accommodations for the application, interview, or any other aspect of the employee selection process to applicants with disabilities. Please e-mail [email protected] to request an accommodation.
To apply for this position, fill out the application form. Phone calls and email inquiries regarding this position will not be replied to.
Our Mission: OUTMemphis empowers, connects, educates, and advocates for the LGBTQ+ community of the Mid-South.
OUTMemphis: The LGBTQ+ Center for the Mid-South
outmemphis.org | (901) 278-6422 | [email protected]
Community Center: 892 S. Cooper Street, Memphis, TN, 38104
Administrative & Donation Center: 832 Virginia Run Cove, Memphis, TN, 38122
Youth Emergency Center: 2055 Southern Ave., Memphis, TN 38114