Position Title: Metamorphosis Project Peer Advocate
Reports to: Director of the Metamorphosis Project
Status: Part Time, Hourly, 16 hours/week, $15/hour
Temporary: 1 year term
This job performs all duties on-site under OUTMemphis’s rigorous safety practices to limit the possible spread of COVID-19. PPE is freely available to all staff members.
The Peer Advocates are LGBTQ+ young adults age 18-25 who will support the day to day operations of the YEC. In their role, they will bring lived experience perspectives to the Metamorphosis leadership team and as a result, support OUTMemphis in decision making for our youth program. For Peer Advocates that have not already participated in Life Hacks, enrollment in the workshops is required during employment.
- Meal set up / breakdown
- Oversee laundry program
- Staffing events and gatherings
- Peer support for new/in-take residents
- Organizing food pantry, clothes closet, linens, supplies for 4 residential units.
- Front Desk Support
- Group Facilitation
- Chair of Youth Advisory Council meetings
- Follow up calls for youth appointments for Case Manager
- Community outreach
- Report any concerns that arise when working with youth/young adults as specified in mandated reporting training
- Participate in ongoing program development and enhancement at partner agencies, building on the strengths of youth/young adults and maintaining youth/young adults’ connections to the community
- Support creation and distribution of walk-up food and hygiene kits at YEC
- Good verbal communication skills, including strong organizational, conflict resolution, detail, self-motivated, career driven, self-starter who has the ability to self-assign tasks, multi-task, and manage time with strong interpersonal skills;
- Basic computer skills including word processing, database operations, spreadsheets, and other software systems;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds including age, ability, gender identity & expression, sexual orientation, education, and ethnicity, in a multicultural environment;
- Beliefs that lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals should live in a world where everyone has equal rights, and is safe, respected, and celebrated;
- Demonstrated ability to function in a hands-on environment with limited resources;
- Knowledgeable on information for youth/young adults about resources, trainings or skill- building opportunities in the community.
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter and resume in a single document to [email protected] with “Metamorphosis Project Peer Advocate” in the subject line. Phone calls and email inquiries regarding this position will not be replied to.
Our Mission: OUTMemphis empowers, connects, educates, and advocates for the LGBTQ+ community of the Mid-South
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. OUTMemphis provides a comprehensive Workplace Accommodations procedure available to all employees.
OUTMemphis affirmatively values diversity and seeks to hire staff that reflects the diversity of our communities. Transgender people, non-binary people, intersex people, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, and people with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply. OUTMemphis provides reasonable accommodations for the application, interview, or any other aspect of the employee selection process to applicants with disabilities. Please e-mail [email protected] to request an accommodation.
OUTMemphis: The LGBTQ+ Center for the Mid-South
outmemphis.org | (901) 278-4622 | [email protected]
Community Center: 892 S. Cooper Street, Memphis, TN, 38104
Administrative & Donation Center: 832 Virginia Run Cove, Memphis, TN, 38122
Youth Emergency Center: 2055 Southern Ave., Memphis, TN 38104