Position Title: Metamorphosis Project Youth Advocate
Reports to: YEC Operations Manager/Resident Coordinator
Status: Full Time and Part-Time available
Compensation: $15 per hour. Full-time positions at OUTMemphis include a competitive benefits package, including 401(k), healthcare reimbursements, medical, dental, vision, and life insurance.
We are currently hiring Youth Advocates for any/all YEC shifts, which include daytime (8 am – 5 pm) and evening (5 pm – 11 pm) shifts on weekdays and weekends, for either Full- or Part-Time work. You will be prompted to provide your availability and interest in the application form. We are also currently hiring Overnight Youth Advocates, please find more information here.
OUTMemphis’s Youth Advocates will provide support for daily operations of the Youth Emergency Center, OUTMemphis’s drop-in center and overnight shelter for LGBTQ+ youth 18-24 experiencing homelessness. This position will help with front desk duties, serving and cleaning up meals, helping with events and programs (such as our LifeHacks skill-building series), helping youth connect to the drop-in services (such as transportation, computers, laundry, hygiene kits), and supporting all youth participants of the Metamorphosis Project. Note: We currently have openings for daytime, evening, and weekend Youth Advocate shifts.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist the daily operations of the YEC, including Opening, Closing, Daily Cleaning, Room Turnover, and other safety checks, basic maintenance and organization of the space.
- Support the Front Desk through phone duty and welcoming youth and managing Sign-In.
- Provide support to clients in transitioning into shelter facilities, ensuring their comfort and wellbeing.
- Ensure the safety of all Participants by making sure that they understand policies and procedures.
- Communicate observations and interactions with clients to the YEC team.
- Participate in all departmental and organizational meetings and relevant trainings.
- Assist with data collection for YEC as directed, including completing forms and other data entry.
- Assist all participants in access to the services of the Drop-In Center, including food and hygiene kits, laundry, computer lab, regular Hot Meal service, transportation, and other benefits.
- Help facilitate and manage programs, including events, gatherings, and workshops; opportunity to create new and implement new programs.
- Build supportive relationships with youth Participants and Residents and act as an advocate for their needs and experiences.
- Good verbal and written communication skills, including strong organizational, conflict resolution, and interpersonal skills.
- Basic computer skills including word processing, email, database operations, spreadsheets, and other software systems.
- Ability to maintain appropriate boundaries and confidentiality while working with all youth Participants.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds including age, ability, gender identity & expression, sexual orientation, education, and ethnicity, in an intersectional environment.
- Knowledgeable and sensitive to the issues affecting gay, lesbian, bisexual, queer, asexual, intersex, transgender, and questioning, youth and adults.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. OUTMemphis provides a comprehensive Workplace Accommodations procedure available to all employees.
OUTMemphis affirmatively values diversity and seeks to hire staff that reflects the diversity of our communities. Transgender people, non-binary people, intersex people, people of color, formerly incarcerated people and people with criminal records, and people with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply. OUTMemphis provides reasonable accommodations for the application, interview, or any other aspect of the employee selection process to applicants with disabilities. Please e-mail [email protected] to request an accommodation.
To apply for this position, fill out the application form. Phone calls and email inquiries regarding this position will not be replied to.
Our Mission: OUTMemphis empowers, connects, educates, and advocates for the LGBTQ+ community of the Mid-South.
OUTMemphis: The LGBTQ+ Center for the Mid-South
outmemphis.org | (901) 278-6422 | [email protected]
Community Center: 892 S. Cooper Street, Memphis, TN, 38104
Administrative & Donation Center: 832 Virginia Run Cove, Memphis, TN, 38122
Youth Emergency Center: 2055 Southern Ave., Memphis, TN 38114