Position Title: Sexual Health Specialist
Reports to: Senior Manager of Health Services
Classification: Part Time; remote hours not available.
Start Date: Immediately
The Sexual Health Specialist will support the Health and Wellness programming at OUTMemphis as a direct service provider for sexual services for LGBTQ+ individuals. The role includes conducting HIV testing, PrEP/PEP navigation services, linking newly diagnosed clients to care, leading supportive social groups for gay and bisexual men of color, and leading off-site outreach events.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- – Recruit and retain participants for HIV testing, PrEP/PEP navigation, linkage to care, FU;BU, TU PPL and other sexual health program needs.
- – Conduct outreach and education for communities at highest risk for HIV, including gay and bisexual men of color and transgender women of color.
- – Lead sexual health outreach events including tabling, off-site HIV testing, creating promotional materials, providing social media support, and other duties.
- – Participate in local committees, meetings, or conferences that are applicable to the job.
- – Provide targeted educational and outreach efforts to specific marginalized communities, including Latinx LGBTQ+ individuals, gay and bisexual black men, and transgender women of color.
- – Support the Sexual Health committee by recruiting volunteers, facilitating committee meetings, and executing committee projects.
- – Provide data entry and case management for all sexual health initiatives, especially HIV testing, linkage to care, and PrEP/PEP navigation.
- – Work in collaboration with the Trans Services Manager, the Senior Manager for Health Services, and the Director of Community Services to meet the goals of the Sexual Health programs and services.
- – Participate in “All Staff” duties, including opening, closing, cleaning, and staffing the community center, answering phones, making referrals, and other daily and weekly staff tasks
- – Preferred professional or academic background in health or social sciences
- – Minimum associate’s degree or equivalent field experience.
- – Good verbal and written communication skills, including strong organizational, detail and interpersonal skills;
- – Excellent computer skills including word processing, database operations, spreadsheets, and other software systems; experience with data entry preferred.
- – Conversational Spanish preferred but not required.
- – Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds including age, gender, sexual orientation, education, and ethnicity, in a multicultural environment.
- – Knowledgeable and sensitive to the issues affecting gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, asexual, intersex, and questioning youth and adults.
- – Knowledgeable about black and brown queer and trans issues in the Mid-South, including HIV, homelessness, over-incarceration, sex work, family conflict, and other experiences.
- – Must be able to collaborate and work with diverse constituencies in a fast-paced, mission-driven environment. Must have strong customer-service instincts and de-escalation skills.
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter and resume in a single document to [email protected] with “Education Specialist” in the subject line. Phone calls and email inquiries regarding this position will not be replied to.
Our Mission: OUTMemphis empowers, connects, educates, and advocates for the LGBTQ+ community of the Mid-South.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. OUTMemphis provides a comprehensive Workplace Accommodations procedure available to all employees.
OUTMemphis affirmatively values diversity and seeks to hire staff that reflects the diversity of our communities. Transgender people, non-binary people, intersex people, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, and people with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply. OUTMemphis provides reasonable accommodations for the application, interview, or any other aspect of the employee selection process to applicants with disabilities. Please e-mail [email protected] to request an accommodation.
OUTMemphis: The LGBTQ+ Center for the Mid-South
outmemphis.org | (901) 278-4622 | [email protected]
Community Center: 892 S. Cooper Street, Memphis, TN, 38104
Administrative & Donation Center: 832 Virginia Run Cove, Memphis, TN, 38122
Youth Emergency Center: 2055 Southern Ave., Memphis, TN 38114