Position Title: Director of Health & Wellness
Reports to: Deputy Director
Status: Full Time, Exempt, Permanent
Compensation: $55,000 – $65,000, plus health benefits, 401(k), and professional development opportunities. Salary is negotiable based on experience and all interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Note: This position requires in-person work at all OUTMemphis facilities and off-site locations, with a flexible schedule. Some remote work hours are permitted. Some evenings and weekends included.
Start Date: Immediately
The Director of Health and Wellness sets the course for OUTMemphis’s wide-ranging, community-based, person-centered programs related to positive health outcomes for LGBTQ+ individuals. This includes collaborating with the Executive Director and Leadership Team in developing short- and long-range goals and monitoring progress, and advocating for needed resources to consistently provide high-quality services that center the unique experiences of LGBTQ+ individuals and communities. Key programs include OUTMemphis’s 10+ year old sexual health program as well as mental health, food security, trans services, and LGBTQ+ cultural humility training programs. This position will take a lead on managing government grants for health services, as well as managing the program budget, and compiling data reports in collaboration with departmental staff. Candidates with strong management skills as well as experiencing in strategic program development are strongly encouraged to apply. The Director of Health and Wellness identifies opportunities for participation in research initiatives, with a prioritization on consistent, equity-driven program evaluation. In addition to overseeing the program staff’s day-to-day initiatives, the Director of Health and Wellness will collaborate with the Executive Director and Deputy Director in responding to the evolving public health needs for LGBTQ+ individuals in the region and managing public health crises, such as COVID-19 or Monkey Pox outbreaks.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage OUTMemphis’s sexual health services, including setting up protocols and procedures, supervising sexual health staff, and establishing and maintaining relationships with agencies providing care to individuals living with or impacted by HIV/AIDS.
- In collaboration with the Community Manager, support the needs of key programs of OUTMemphis’s Community Center (located in Cooper-Young).
- Oversee the continual expansion of mental health services at OUTMemphis, including group therapy, referral networks, and community-based programs.
- Oversee the continual expansion of food programs at OUTMemphis’s Community Center.
- Manage and implement OUTMemphis’s LGBTQ+ trainings, including recruiting, training, and evaluating trainers, monitoring training curriculum, and assessing education needs.
- Identify health and wellness outreach opportunities for presentations to diverse settings and populations, including but not limited to health fairs, community-events, local and regional committees, and work groups, and participating in local, regional, and national discussions on public health policy and advocacy.
- Ensure that programs staff are completing accurate, timely, and complete data entry, grant reporting, and evaluation.
- Collaboration with the Executive Director and Senior Director for Development and Strategic Initiatives on vetting and researching grant opportunities for health programs.
- Research and execute training negotiations with organizations and community partners.
- Create and implement program and service evaluation processes.
- Staff the Community Center in rotation with other employees.
- Supervise the Health & Wellness staff, ensuring timely, equity-driven performance evaluation, coaching, and professional development for all team members.
- Master’s degree in any related field or work experience in education, health, or the nonprofit sector.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience working in a social service, educational, nonprofit, or health related setting preferred.
- Good verbal and written communication skills, including strong organizational, detail and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent computer skills including word processing, database operations, spreadsheets, and other software systems; experience with data entry preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds including age, gender, sexual orientation, education, and ethnicity, in a multicultural environment.
- Knowledgeable and sensitive to the issues affecting gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, asexual, intersex, and questioning youth and adults. Specific knowledge about black and brown queer and trans issues in the Mid-South, including HIV, homelessness, over incarceration, sex work, family conflict, and other experiences preferred.
- Must be able to collaborate and work with diverse constituencies in a fast-paced, mission-driven environment.
- Must have strong customer service instincts and de-escalation skills.
The schedule for this position will require some night and weekend hours.
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter and resume in a single document to [email protected] with “Director of Health & Wellness” in the subject line. Phone calls and email inquiries regarding this position will not be replied to.
Our Mission: OUTMemphis empowers, connects, educates, and advocates for the LGBTQ+ community of the Mid-South.
OUTMemphis affirmatively values diversity and seeks to hire staff that reflects the diversity of our communities. Transgender people, non-binary people, intersex people, people of color, formerly incarcerated people and people with criminal records, and people with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply. OUTMemphis provides reasonable accommodations for the application, interview, or any other aspect of the employee selection process to applicants with disabilities. Please e-mail [email protected] to request an accommodation.
OUTMemphis: The LGBTQ+ Center for the Mid-South
outmemphis.org | (901) 278-6422 | [email protected]
Community Center: 892 S. Cooper Street, Memphis, TN, 38104
Administrative & Donation Center: 832 Virginia Run Cove, Memphis, TN, 38122
Youth Emergency Center: 2055 Southern Ave., Memphis, TN 38114