Position Title: Metamorphosis Project Kitchen Volunteer
Start Date: Jan ‘20
SUMMARY: The Metamorphosis Project Volunteer will assist OUTMemphis staff with planning, preparing and cleaning up meals served in the Youth Emergency Center.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with other volunteers and staff to plan monthly menu for clients staying in the Youth Emergency Center
- Prepare meals and serve meals
- Interact with clients in a friendly, positive, happy and professional manner
- Help with general maintenance and clean-up of kitchen and dining area
- Work in cooperation with other volunteers and staff
- Good verbal communication skills, including strong organizational, conflict resolution, detail and interpersonal skills;
- Basic computer skills including word processing, database operations, spreadsheets, and other software systems
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds including age, ability, gender identity & expression, sexual orientation, education, and ethnicity, in a multicultural environment
- Beliefs that Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals should live in a world where everyone has equal rights, and is safe, respected, and celebrated.
- Experience and comfortable in a kitchen setting
- Basic cooking skills & knowledge of nutritional meal planning
The schedule for this position will require night and/or weekend hours. Volunteers are asked to commit to one regularly scheduled shift every week, or every two weeks. LGBTQ+ people of color with working knowledge of the South are especially encouraged to apply.
All volunteers must attend two volunteer meetings a year. These meetings serve as a means of communication between staff and volunteers. We will discuss any new policies, procedures, events, and any other matters of interest to ensure that all members of the center community are aware of what is going on.