Position Title: Metamorphosis Project Volunteer
Start Date: Jan ‘20
SUMMARY: The Metamorphosis Project Volunteer will assist OUTMemphis staff with intake and daily management of the Youth Emergency Center.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Interview clients to determine their programmatic needs, and note down all important points for further reference.
- Create accurate records of all assigned clients, and ensure that they are updated in a timely manner.
- Assist clients in understanding their rights and provide them with referrals.
- Provide support to clients in transitioning into shelter facilities, ensuring their comfort and wellbeing.
- Enforce shelter policies aimed at ensuring that clients remain safe and comfortable throughout their stay.
- Oversee the settling of clients within a shelter environment, and ensure that any issues or problems that may arise, are given resolution priority.
- Ensure the safety of all clients by making sure that they understand safety policies and procedures, and follow them appropriately.
- Provide emergency assistance in cases of problems associated with on-facility injuries or accidents.
- Good verbal and written communication skills, including strong organizational, conflict resolution, detail and interpersonal skills;
- Basic computer skills including word processing, database operations, spreadsheets, and other software systems
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds including age, ability, gender identity & expression, sexual orientation, education, and ethnicity, in a multicultural environment
- Beliefs that Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals should live in a world where everyone has equal rights, and is safe, respected, and celebrated.
The schedule for this position will require night and/or weekend hours. Volunteers are asked to commit to one regularly scheduled shift every week, or every two weeks
LGBTQ+ people of color with working knowledge of the South are especially encouraged to apply.
All volunteers must attend two volunteer meetings a year. These meetings serve as a means of communication between staff and volunteers. We will discuss any new policies, procedures, events, and any other matters of interest to ensure that all members of the center community are aware of what is going on.
For more information please sign up for one of our Metamorphosis Project volunteer info sessions here or contact [email protected].