OUTMemphis’s Sexual Health Program is our organization’s longest running program and includes our twice-weekly FREE HIV Testing as well as PrEP and PEP Navigation in both English and Spanish. If you prefer testing in the comfort of your own home, OUTMemphis distributes FREE In-Home HIV Test Kits as well, which are available for pickup at our Community Center (892 S Cooper Street). We also distribute free condom packets and lube at the Community Center, to assure that our community, especially those disproportionally effected by HIV, have access to resources and information that will help minimize their exposure to the virus.
Free HIV Testing
- Free HIV tests are performed Mondays from 12-5 pm, Wednesdays from 4-7 pm, and Thursdays from 12-5 pm with no appointment necessary. Walk-ins outside of these hours are welcome based on availability of staff, and appointments can be made in advance (see contact info below).
- Results take around 20 minutes to be processed.
- The test consists of a simple finger prick blood test.
- A short HIV Prevention counseling session will be provided
- Trained professionals are on hand to answer related questions.
- Free condoms, lube, dental dams, and other sexual health materials are available upon request.
What is PrEP?
- PrEP is a once-daily pill that helps prevent HIV up to 99% when used correctly and in conjunction with other methods like condoms.
- PrEP is for anyone who is sexually active and wants to prevent HIV.
What is PEP?
- PEP stands for post-exposure prophylaxis, meaning after you’ve been possibly exposed to HIV.
- PEP should only be used in emergency situations and must be taken within the 72 hours (3 days) of HIV exposure, but the sooner the better.
- PEP is not a substitute for PrEP.
PrEP/PEP Navigation and Client Consultation Process
Our PrEP/PEP Navigator will:
- Have a short PrEP/PEP 101 Education chat to make sure you have all the information.
- Explain the required labs, tests, and what to expect on a first doctor visit.
- Explain costs associated with PrEP/PEP.
- Explain Patient Assistance Programs and your eligibility.
- Inquire about your insurance coverage.
- Refer you to a PrEP/PEP provider that suits your financial situation.
Our team does testing in various and diverse community settings, everywhere form community health fairs, to schools, churches, clubs, gay family functions, and much more. We are involved in many community committees that revolve around sexual health such as The Headliners, C2P (Connect To Protect), EHE (Ending the HIV Epidemic). Being part of these committees allows us to stay connected and informed on the changes that are going on in our city and our community. We also have our very own Sexual Health Committee at OUTMemphis, where our goal is to find creative and innovative ways to engage and educate our community members in non-traditional ways.
We collaborate with many community partners (i.e. Friends for Life, The Haven, The Corner, P.E.A.S, LeBonheur, St. Jude, UofM, etc.), we also have program interventions such as Sin Buscar.